Hello again, here I am with another sewing make after what seems like a busy and very fast week. Already 2017 is speeding up and looks to be faster than ever for most of us, with little time to draw breath! A interesting, dramatic and saddening week Worldwide too with lots of discussion and views appearing in force on social media and beyond. Whilst I have my own thoughts and views on these events, I do feel that we should live very much in the present, balancing our minds and sharing what we feel positive about in our own lives. For me, I have been overwhelmed with the response from family, friends and new contacts in the sewing community, following the start of my blog nearly two weeks ago.
It’s quite a scary experience putting yourself out there and I was very nervous and self conscious about the whole thing, so far you’ve all made me feel very welcome. Thank you.
Turning to my finished Renfrew Top by Sewaholic Patterns , I had planned to complete this earlier in the week however, life took over and here I am – fashionably late!
I decided in the New Year to go for view c, which has a cowl neckline but swapped the sleeves from the three-quarter length to those of full length shown in view a. The main reason – it’s cold outside and I want to be warm! After making my 1940’s tea dress last week, this make is a more understated but very necessary part of my developing handmade wardrobe. I’ve made a few dresses and statement pieces in the few years I’ve been sewing more, but have never made a simple long sleeved top – essential for every wardrobe.
I decided to use a lovely warm grey fleece jersey fabric, from Guthrie & Ghani, that had been gathering dust in my fabric stash since this time last year. The fabric is gorgeous, and whilst it’s fairly light, the fleece backing keeps the chill away. I got myself two and a half metres and only used a metre or so on this top as its very wide – two meters in fact! I will definitely be using it for more tops throughout the year.
So, how did I fair with this pattern? Very well indeed and was a lot quicker making up than it took me to get round to actually starting it – two and half hours in fact!! The pattern was very straight forward and the fabric sewed up beautifully. I shortened the front, back and sleeve pattern pieces by 4 cm to ensure the top finished on my hips and sleeves finished at my wrists. The pattern didn’t include a lengthen/shorten line, so went by the waistline on the front and back pieces, and from where the sleeve piece came to my elbow. I went for the size 10 based on the finished measurements as the fabric had a lot of stretch, so was happy with the ease. I removed the seam allowance on all pieces as I made the top using only my overlocker, which made this super quick. One point to note, the cuff pieces came out rather baggy when joined to the sleeves and were much wider. Not sure if that was the design of the top, for me I preferred the cuff’s to be a little tighter than the sleeves. As a result I reduced the width by two inches.
Overall, I’m really happy with this top and whilst before I thought perhaps it wasn’t necessary to make all my essential jersey tops, the speed with which this came together has definitely changed that view. I’ll be making my own tops using this pattern a great deal as it’s so versatile with different sleeve lengths and necklines. This is a pattern that will take you from winter in to spring and back again. Looking forward to experimenting with different jerseys, knits, colour and print with this pattern, one that should be in every sewists stash!